Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving




As I write this there are about thirteen people, calling themselves "friends" and "family", that are descending on Santa Fe and my home expecting food.

Since nobody seems to be capable of providing me with an accurate head-count, I think that I will be serving cereal.

What I do know is that seven of them are going to be house guests! We are going to be stacked like hamsters in the house of Steeze.

Needless to say, I have already started drinking and, with luck, I will be able to maintain the buzz through the weekend. Therefore I will not be posting for the next couple of days.

Since I am not a "funny facty" kind of guy I am going to provide you with a woefully serious fact about myself:

My father's family is French-German and my mother's family is Cherokee.

So what does that make me? All kinds of strange.

I look just like my mother's side of the family:

That isn't a picture of me. These guys are from like the 1730's. It's the best I could do. A Google search of "Cherokee" just brings up pictures of cars.

There's a lot of that strangeness on the interweb. Search "Sequoia" and you get a bunch of trees, "Seattle" you get pics of some city in Washington, "Pontiac" and you guessed it, more cars. And the list goes on and on...

Anyway, as I said, my features are just like my mother's side of the family but I inherited my father's blue eyes and shockingly white skin.

My brother on the other hand, looks like my father's side of the family but inherited brown eyes and dark skin. Go figure.

We grew up in a very white neighborhood in a very white city. My family were reasonably affluent and educated. My father was a chemical engineer doing research for a large petroleum conglomerate and my mother stayed home until my brother and I were in our teens. She then went to work as an international cost account analyst for TRW. We were members of the country club and my parents were active in the community and the church. Basically we were the stereotypical fluffy Wonder Bread kind of family.

Except for one really big thing...

People would call my brother "colored" and look shocked when they found out that we were related.

Some parents didn't want their kids to play with him.

Salespeople would follow my brother around the store to keep an eye on him.

When my brother was old enough to drive he was constantly stopped by the police because he looked suspicious—not once did he ever receive a ticket for doing anything wrong.

And this wasn't like in the 1950's. This was the seventies and eighties.

He always pretended that he didn't notice. But, hell, even I noticed and I was a few years younger than him. At the time I just didn't understand why some people thought that my big brother was bad.

So I guess what I am saying is that I am thankful for learning about the stupidity of discrimination at such an early age.

I am also going to embarrass myself by saying that although I am glad that I learned about racism early, I am also glad that I didn't have to experience any of it.

Discrimination is vile.

But, unfortunately, still rampant in our world.

Because of that I am sad to say that I am truly thankful that I was born a male that looks white.

So to all my homies on the rez, here's a little video about genocide to get the Thanksgiving holiday started:


email me: Teezy



If you enjoyed this post, please follow Santa Fe Steeze using the links below:



5 comments:

  1. Cereal is too good for the moochers. I say throw some blankets on the lawn and let them duke it out with who's going to sleep with blankets on the lawn tonite. Moochers.

    I feel for your brother. I grew up in an affluent neighborhood in a conservative town and went to a preppy High School, I was the only olive skinned guy there of lower income, they were merciless. They even made fun of me living in a apartment with my single working mom instaed of a house.

    Now I have to face a whole new set of discrimination because of my homosexuality, it never ends.

    Good luck with the moochers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is unfortunate. I was also teased in school.

    Isn't that supposed to be the time when you are creating happy memories, having fun, building lifelong friendships etc.? Well, not so much for me.

    Discrimination is the avocation of the stupid— and thinking about what stupid people do makes my head hurt.

    It is so frustrating because the truly stupid are incapable of enlightenment and change no matter how hard any of us try or how much the world changes around them.

    BTW, aren't olives green? I never saw a green kid in school.

    And, about the homosexual thing, I have a complaint.

    Although I know that it is ancient fashion history for gay men, I believe that homosexuals are responsible for white framed sunglasses.

    I understand that they were hip back in the day, but in my opinion they really went guido a long time ago.

    Now, the combination of white framed sunglasses and an Ed Hardy shirt creates a lethal, burning rage inside of me that I am finding increasingly difficult to control.

    Gay men brought white framed sunglasses into this world, gay men need to take them out!!

    Please! :)

    (I don't know who in the hell is responsible for Ed Hardy—they just need to be executed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Asshole-

    I thought you also might get a laugh out of this, although the stupid chick probably doesn't get it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't put white framed glasses on us! That was started my 80's new wave bands like "Flock of Seagulls."

    We do take credit for the barb wire tattoo (started in the gay SM community), and Levi's 501's (to counter the loose bell bottoms).

    Ed Hardy who? *takes a sip of my mimosa*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny!

    Flock of what? *chugs a forty from my beer bong*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...